Monday, March 9, 2015

There’s a New Sheriff in Town . . .

At the first show I ever did, StampFest Orlando in 1997, about ten minutes before the show began Gene from Stamp Cabana came across the aisle to me and gave me a piece of advice that I have carried to this day – “Stampers are basically an honest lot.”  And he was right – almost without exception, if I have chosen to just trust someone or give the benefit of the doubt, I have not been disappointed.

Almost . . .

20150308_153908

Ellen from Tessler Stamps/Stencils caught a shoplifter in her booth yesterday.  The woman had about $650 worth of Ellen’s merchandise stuffed into unimaginable places.  Ellen even gave her a chance to get out with her dignity – she saw what was happening and took a basket to the woman and asked if she needed something to carry her purchases in.  And still this woman chose to shake our faith in our customers.

2015-03-08 17.50.57

And Ellen’s husband snapped a picture of her as she was carted off to jail.

The worst part of this is that Ellen was feeling guilty later on.  Maybe I would as well if I had been in Ellen’s shoes – but in my eyes, Ellen is a heroine for protecting all of us (and all of you) from people like this.  I put Ellen’s picture and a quick line about what had happened on the Marco’s Paper Facebook Page about half an hour before the show ended, and when we finished tearing down our booth I went to Ellen and showed her that over 800 people had seen it (it’s way over 1,000 now), and there were over 100 “likes” and 25 “Way to go, Ellen!” comments.

To quote the song that played at the end of the old Michael J. Fox movie, The Secret of My Success“Sometimes the good guys finish first.” 

Way to go, Ellen!

2 comments:

  1. Kudoes to Ellen for being vigilant AND for protecting her investment in these products. Hobby products are not in the same category that food for a starving family would come.... in my opinion. These fun things are not a physical necessity. I'm so glad that this person was apprehended, and I hope the result of her attempted theft will serve as an example to anyone who is ever even slightly tempted to shoplift! I've been in Ellen's booth on many convention visits - she's always so helpful in showing customers how to use products. What a way to behave in her booth. Thanks for sharing this info with us. I agree - stampers/crafters are by & large a very honest, and generous group of people. BTW, always have appreciated the trust you have shown to me, as I was one of those customers whose cc was turned down "after the show" and you were generous enough to contact me, and we were able to resolve the problem! Mary H. (http://carolinacardsbymaryh.blogspot.com/).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Ellen! I worked for Ellen at the Scrapbook Expo in Chantilly, VA several years ago and she's one of the hardest working people I know. She worked that event with a horrible hand injury and just wouldn't stop. I was so glad I was able to help her. So glad she was able to get that nasty woman off the streets... Just sinful!

    ReplyDelete