Saturday, February 17, 2018

Fun in the Sun . . .

Before the Florida show in New Port Richey, I escaped Winter in Ohio for our annual visit to Lawrenceville, Georgia (just northeast of Atlanta).  But I took a lot of Ohio Winter with me – our white truck was coated with frozen gray road slop when I left, and even after the frozen stuff melted the leftover salt and such didn’t wash off until a hard rain after the show.  But I didn’t care – it was 62 degrees on setup day . . .

20180202_105823_resized

Peggy Gould remembered to bring along her tiara this year – the customers who visit her demo table always enjoy the bubbly Princess Peggy personality . . .

20180203_144258_resized

More young folks at the demo table – if all goes well, they will keep me employed for a long time.

20180202_150059_resized

Rick and Kelley from Our Daily Bread Designs bought a house near Phoenix a few years ago and spend their winters in the desert warmth – so they aren’t seen in these parts until late March or early April.  But their bags make an appearance at every show, so I text them pictures – this nice lady is on their design team.

sunfun

This is what happens when I have time to think – Saturday afternoon, I saw the sunbeam start to work its way onto the floor about 2:00.  Wondered if it would make it all the way to the booth by 5:00.  So I took a picture every 30-40 minutes as it traveled toward me – and one from the other angle at a few minutes before 5:00 when it finally hit the finish line.

20180204_104323_resized

One of the advantages of Heirloom going to Friday/Saturday shows – I got to spend 90 minutes on Sunday morning in the sanctuary of my childhood friend Alan Scott, who is the senior pastor at Cumberland Community Church in Smyrna, Georgia.  I have mentioned Alan several times over the years – he is a dynamic speaker and I always leave energized.  This time, that energy carried me all the way to Florida – where I checked into my hotel just minutes before the start of the Super Bowl.

20180205_153058_resized

Went to Disney on Monday, and came out of a behind-the-scenes tour of the Magic Kingdom just minutes before a parade featuring Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles – there were Philadelphia Eagles jerseys everywhere along Main Street.

20180205_142401_resized

What I did while waiting for the parade – the Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich is still the best value in all of Disney World.

20180205_202845_resized

I bounce from park to park – took this patriotic shot of Spaceship Earth at Epcot while I was waiting for the monorail to go back to the Magic Kingdom for the fireworks show.

20180205_202640

I love fireworks – spent most of my time watching them, without realizing that the colors on Cinderella’s Castle were changing with every shell.

20180205_203115

Size has its privileges – took this shot from the monorail – that’s our company truck in the back of the bus parking lot.

20180206_154721_resized 20180206_154737_resized

Worked in the mornings and evenings, and played golf in the afternoon for the next three days.  Took these pics while waiting to tee off on a par three – folks in Florida probably think this moss is annoying, but for those of us from the north who never see it, it is intriguing.

20180206_155925_resized

This picture is important because of what isn’t there.  I had just passed through the group of houses at the bottom left and came up a hill to this tee.  As I passed, I saw several people standing in their backyards talking with each other and holding binoculars.  Didn’t think a thing of it.  Then the group behind me came up to the tee while I was waiting, and said “Did you see it?”  I had no idea what they were talking about – SpaceX had just launched a rocket from Cape Canaveral – and from where I was 60-70 miles away, you could see the rocket go up and the solid rocket boosters separate and fall back to earth.  And I missed it . . .

41516

This pic arrived on my phone on Wednesday morning as I was leaving to play golf – it’s the view out by brother’s front door after 3” of white death . . . broke my heart to tell him that it was 81 and sunny in Florida.

20180208_171040_resized

I live in a small town, but friends from my school years are everywhere and I enjoy visiting them – on my way to New Port Richey, I stopped to see Barry Hartsock (coincidentally, Barry is Alan Scott’s cousin).  We used to do basketball stats together when we were in high school.

And then I got to New Port Richey – but you already know that, since I am catching up in reverse order . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment