Friday, February 6, 2015

Always Be On Your Best Behavior . . .

I arrived at my hotel in Clearwater last night (if you’re in Florida, come see us on Saturday at the Matheos Hall, 409 Old Coachman Road).  While I was checking in, I noticed a couple in the corner of the lobby at the computer desk – and they were looking at me.  I have gotten used to this over the years – it is entirely possible that I could encounter a customer practically anywhere, and especially someplace where we have a show in a couple of days.  And I always try to make sure I behave myself – my parents taught me that long ago.

So when this lady walked toward me, I figured I knew what was coming next.  But I was wrong – what she said to me was “Aren’t you Joe Smallwood’s son?”

20150205_181326

I’m 1,000 miles from home – this was the last thing I expected to hear.  But it was certainly fun – this nice lady grew up with my dad and they were in the same grade (even took piano lessons together).  We had a nice visit, and then I called Mom and Dad – and they roared with laughter when I got to the punch line.

On another note, my brother takes great pains to make sure I feel warm and comfortable when I’m in the south during the winter.  Yesterday morning, he texted me this picture that he took in his front yard after a snowfall the night before . . .

IMG_0152

The message was “Good morning from Ohio – I hope this picture makes you feel warm where you are.”  Yesterday afternoon, I sent one back to him . . .

20150205_174155

My message was “The ground is also white here.”  And I was feeling rather pleased with my wit, until my phone buzzed again with his reply . . .

“I would have wiped the tear from my eye from laughing so hard, but it froze before I could.”

Blake wins . . .

1 comment: