Monday, November 18, 2013

An Update from Melinda . . .

Thanks to all of you who have flooded my friend Melinda Doster with prayers, cards and e-mails both before and after her recent surgery.  I got an e-mail from her overnight with an update and a request that I post it, especially for those she hasn’t had a chance to respond to personally.  So the following is to you, from her . . .

Thank you all for your prayers, emails, cards and gifts. I have felt very encouraged!

My first surgery went well. It was outpatient, but I had a very bad reaction to the anesthesia and it took them 5 hours to completely revive me. I was there a little less than 12 hours total.  The nausea was intense the rest of the evening. I refused to take the pain killers at the hospital or at home because I had not eaten and I knew the nausea would be worse. By the next day, the nausea had passed and I slept a lot.

I had a lumpectomy - they removed a piece the width of a tennis ball. It encompassed an invasive carcinoma in one area and a noninvasive carcinoma in another. The pathology report indicates that although I will need radiation, I do not need chemo (praise God!) But the margins were a bit too close on two sides where they removed the cancer. So when I have my second surgery (reconstruction) they are going to remove more tissue and widen the margins, just to be safe. They also took six lymph nodes during surgery and those tested clean.

My second surgery will be sometime this week (probably Tuesday or Wednesday). My doctor is supposed to call tomorrow to let me know for sure.

There is a lot more detail I could go into regarding the things I've experienced since the surgery,  but some of it is not for those with weak stomachs, so I will skip it.  Much of it, I didn't expect and was not prepared for.  And frankly, I'm thankful that I didn't know ahead of time. As you know I was not worried about the surgery at all. I had a real peace about it.  Had I known more, I likely would have worried a bit. This time, I confess I am a bit nervous about the second surgery, as I know it is more involved and requires a longer recovery.  But I know Whose hands I'm in and I trust Him.

I thank you for your continued prayers!  You have been a tremendous blessing!  And thanks to my special brother, Greg!

Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment