Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Big Day Arrives . . .

After driving home from the Preview Party, editing and posting the pictures, doing the laundry that I forgot to do once I got back from Detroit, and oh yeah – getting a precious few hours of sleep, it was back to Cincinnati.  Stampaway USA XVIII had finally arrived . . .

0814100814 0814100813

Folks were already milling around outside the Sharonville Convention Center more than an hour before the show started.  Some smart folks came early and tailgated . . .

0814100856

Karen and I came out early and passed out flyers to those who waited in the hot sun.  The line stretched out a long way in two directions.  When I got to the end of “my” line – there she was again!!!  Kim has become the “Where’s Waldo” of Stamping Gala 2010 – with the exception of setup, she has been around every corner.  I actually saw her husband at the show later in the day, but my attempt at a quick pic failed.

0814100924

After the setup nightmare, I assumed vendors would be jockeying for prime loading positions early in the day.  This is The Paper Cut’s spot next to the big pile of dirt.  Wouldn’t have merited a comment, except Dallas from Custom Wood by Dallas got the Sharonville policeman who was serving as security to go over to Ron and tell him he was illegally parked and was going to be towed.  Ron was well on his way to being convinced until he saw Dallas failing to conceal his laughter and realized it was a gag.

0814101003 0814101013

Birthday girl Sue Rothamel’s look of genuine glee the first of many times the masses sang to her.  But then it was back to business – these folks were here to learn . . .

0814101112 0814101643

I will be in trouble for these during and after shots of Jill’s demo space.  I told her that I could relate – I have a sign on the wall in my office that says “A Creative Mess Is Better Than Tidy Idleness.”

0814101024

Connie Williams (show promoter and owner of Stamp Your Art Out! in Cincinnati) provided signs for past winners of the customer voting.  I added a big pic of our outfits from Friday.  No, we didn’t win this year – Judi-Kins did, with something they referred to as “Twinkies with Glasses” from the movie Despicable Me.  I haven’t seen it – so I have something to look for when it comes out on DVD.

0814101638

The giveaway was out on the staircase between the first and second floors.  I was so busy I forgot to take photos – except for this blurry one of a lady who asked for the tickets after the drawing so she could collage with them!  So I guess she was a winner, too . . .

0814101652

Teresa and Paula from Paula Best with the security guard – of all things, they were discussing tattoos . . .

0814101836

Believe it or not, this was Sue’s birthday dinner during teardown . . .

0814101644 0814101656

A shot of three matching t-shirts with ladybugs – Ginger, Karen and Nora.  And one more shot of Waldo, who was one of our last customers, seems an appropriate wrapup to the week . . .

1 comment: