Sunday, August 3, 2014

Novi in the Summer (But It Feels Like Fall) . . .

It has been much the same everywhere we have been this summer – the temps are lower than normal, humidity is down, everything is green from excessive rain.  I want all of these degrees we have been missing put into a fund so I can withdraw them in January . . .

20140802_094323

This weekend, we are in Novi, Michigan – and this is what’s new since we were here last August.  Big TVs near the box office – I even saw a copier/fax/scanner in the hallway for use by convention guests, and now there is free wifi (which I am using to type this blog just before the show opens on Sunday).

20140802_094330

Nikki and Sheila from Heirloom (Nikki is on the left helping a customer get ready to enter the hall) escaped the west coast for the first time this year to join us at a show.

20140802_094339 20140802_095519

Obligatory shot of the loooooooong hallway leading into the convention.  There was a cat show on the other side of the building, so when our line started getting in the way of that entrance, Nikki let some of our line into the “holding cell” (my term) – but some of them got the idea that the show was opening early and had to be herded back.

20140802_103429

A view from my cash register – I guess Steve from Toomuchfun was playing on his iPad.  I just thought the shot was too good to pass up . . .

20140802_145239 20140802_145232

I heard this “whirring” sound all day Saturday – finally turned around late in the afternoon and saw what was causing it.  Joel from Heartfelt Creations has attached a power drill to his Grand Calibur.  As much as he uses it in his demo, it’s a good idea – but read the disclaimer and don’t do this at home . . .

20140802_145738

I got a kick out of this t-shirt when I saw the first one – a minute later when I saw the other sister wearing the same shirt, it became my favorite shirt of the show . . .

2014-08-02 14.29.50

But this was my favorite mental image – these shoes walked into the booth in mid-afternoon and this picture does not do justice to just how neon they are.  I have not reached my neon phase of life yet, but I kept being drawn to them.  I have reached the point where some of my polo shirts have small neon stripes – and soon I may have to search for a quieter version of these.  A couple of customers told me that if I wore a shirt in these colors, the cash register would be easier to find . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment