Tuesday, July 15, 2014

They Grow Up So Fast . . .

One of the best perks of traveling as much as I do is the acquaintances I have made along the way.  Every time I return to an area, there are faces I look forward to seeing again – and the show is not complete until I see all of them.  Over the years, some of those acquaintances have become good friends . . .

In September 1999, we went to Greenville, South Carolina for the first time.  And in those days, the first time we went to an area meant we got a big stack of cards with new names and addresses for our mailing and e-mail lists.  I usually glanced at the card as the customer handed it to me, to make sure I could read the e-mail address so I could type it correctly when I got home.  So it was when I encountered a nice lady with a daughter a year or two younger than Ryan tagging along – I glanced at her mailing list card and the e-mail address started with “MarisaNMom”.  So I pointed at her daughter and asked the obvious question – “Is this Marisa?”

IMG_1825

It was.  I have no idea if they were dressed identically that day (it wouldn’t surprise me), but I enjoyed visiting with them and that e-mail address stuck in my mind.  So a year later when we returned to Greenville, I saw that same mother and daughter and greeted them with “Hello, Marisa!”  I also saw the startled look on her mom’s face and felt the need to explain why I remembered Marisa’s name – and my friendship with Kathy Markwardt was born.

I honestly don’t know if I have actually seen Marisa in person in the past 14 years – but I have seen lots of her pictures at shows in Greenville and Atlanta when Kathy and I have crossed paths and updated each other on our children’s activities.  Through our conversations, I learned that her husband took a job in Wisconsin for several years while the rest of the family stayed in South Carolina, but he has been back in the south for a couple of years so I should have been caught completely off-guard last weekend when Kathy walked into our booth at a show near Milwaukee . . .

Kathy was in Wisconsin visiting family and they all came to the show together – but Kathy’s cousin beat her to our booth and told me she was the the room!  So I wasn’t surprised to see her, but Kathy still had a surprise for me . . .

marisalouis

Marisa is engaged, and the lucky guy’s name is Louis.  Kathy and I spent several minutes reliving Ryan’s wedding and talking about her plans for Marisa’s.  And I felt a little older with the realization that the catalyst for our friendship is now preparing for a walk down the aisle.

IMG951610

Here we are, 15 years later, and our friendship endures.  And her e-mail address still starts with “MarisaNMom” . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment