Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sights from the Road and a Surprise Back at Work . . .

One of the joys of driving to shows is the sights you see along the way. I don't even mind reading the billboards along the interstates -- some of them are entertaining and help keep me alert. But heading to Texas last week, I saw something I've never seen before . . .



I'm sure you get lots of those silly e-mails with outlandish pictures that are obviously Photoshopped. I know this one is real because I took it last Thursday on I-40 between Nashville and Memphis. A flatbed tow truck passed me with a car on board -- and the car had a huge nail driven through the hood. No doubt it's a gag of some sort, but it was quite a sight. It was 100 yards past me before I remembered that my cell phone takes pictures, so I had to crop the shot I took quite a bit to get this.

Addendum: Thanks to Katie Heyer, who sent me an e-mail this afternoon to explain what I saw. This is part of a campaign by the Tennessee Governor's Highway Safety Office to combat drunk driving. I found a related article in last Saturday's Memphis Commercial Appeal (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jul/18/police-hope-to-nail-violators/), and if you click on that link you'll see "my" car in the photo! And I found a video with the commercial, too -- http://adland.tv/commercials/tennessee-governors-highway-safety-office-nailed-2009-30-usa



Coming home, I drove through a quick rainstorm on the way through Cincinnati. Then the sun came out and for the first time I can remember I got to see both ends of a little rainbow (of course, looking at a cell phone to take pictures while driving is stupid, so I just pointed it in the direction of the rainbow without looking and took a shot, and missed one of the ends).



And the obligatory shot of Zoe after I picked her up from the kennel . . .

I got back to work on Tuesday, and as I headed to the side door to get something out of the truck I got a shock . . .



MY TWO WHEELER IS BACK! My faithful friend has returned -- I have been without it since late May when it broke (see "Occupational Hazard" in the May archives). My mechanic across the street said it could be repaired, but he needed some fresh welding supplies. I have been working with a replacement I got at Home Depot, but it's not the same.



We all have scars from our injuries, and my two-wheeler is no different. My mechanic even welded a couple of braces to give it more strength when it goes back into service next weekend (August 1-2) at the Rock Financial Showplace in Novi, Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment