Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Another Ice Cream Story . . .

June 11, 1982 -- Mom's first suggestion for the rehearsal dinner was the Golden Lamb (Ohio’s Oldest Inn – you can look it up) -- I don't think she had even finished "Golden" before I said "I don't do dinner -- I do ice cream!" 

rehearsal

So we had the rehearsal dinner at my kind of place -- the Village Ice Cream Parlor in Lebanon, Ohio.  It was featured in the movie “Harper Valley PTA” in 1978 – a lot of that movie was filmed in Lebanon.

rehearsal1 rehearsal2

After dinner, the owner let us go behind the counter and make our own sundaes -- mine was a marshmallow sundae with chocolate ice cream and whipped cream, no nuts or cherry.  These are two of my favorite pictures of the occasion. 

The picture at left is an example of the ties that bind in a small town.  Dave Stubbs (left) and I grew up together – our parents used to double-date back in the 50s and he and I used to double-date in the 70s – he is now the mayor of our hometown and four years ago he officiated at Ryan and Emily’s wedding.  Dave’s wife, Joy, was eight months pregnant when this picture was taken – I have teased their daughter all her life that she was present at my wedding (Ashley, her husband, and three children now live three doors down the street from me).  And of course, my brother (right) has been present at every meaningful event in my life since I was eight years old.

The picture at right is my favorite shot of my grandpa and me – it combines our love for each other and our love of ice cream.  I recreated it 16 years later at my 40th birthday party – which was also held at an ice cream parlor.  He is the reason that I love to make homemade ice cream – I spent practically every summer Sunday evening eating it on his front porch.

20180611_181050

Yesterday, Carla and I went back to the Village Ice Cream Parlor -- 36 years later -- same table in the corner -- same sundae -- but with the lighting we had to take the picture from a different angle.  Carla usually prefers that her picture not be a part of this blog, and I have honored that over the years – but she told me last night that I could use this one if I wanted.  So I did . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment