Saturday, February 8, 2014

We May Need to Teach Florida What Winter Really Is . . .

I think I have learned something over the past three days here in Florida – no one is ever satisfied with the weather they have.  Seriously – never have so many griped so much about 60 degrees and mist.  There are areas of the population these days where a majority might be willing to give up the use of one arm for 60 degrees and mist.

For example, take these two images that I shot this week . . .

clearwater11 clearwater22

At left is a view of the six inches of snow and about 1/2” of crusty ice that had to be blown/chopped off my driveway so that I could get out of Dodge in the predawn hours of Thursday.  Flew to Atlanta, picked up the truck, and drove to Florida – and yes, I hit rain before I got to Gainesville and it rained all the way to Clearwater.  It made for a better picture if I didn’t mention it, but that bright light in the right pic is a streetlight – it was raining still.  And it rained off and on Friday – and all day Saturday.  Still, it was 50-60 degrees warmer than it was at my house.

But this malaise is contagious – I found myself griping about the rain by midday Saturday.  And I was inside . . .

IMG_20140207_094256_554

There were signs of spring to be found – this hibiscus was in bloom on Friday right next to where I park the truck to unload.  I have been here on the same weekend for the past several years, and it has never been in bloom before.  This bloom just demanded that I stop unloading the truck and take a picture of it.  So I did.

IMG_20140207_113219_780

I took this picture during setup to send to our friend Andrea Cloutier – it’s the first Florida show in at least 12-13 years that she has not been a part of.  She got a new job and moved to San Jose, California three weeks ago.  But until about a week ago, Andrea still thought she might fly back to join us.  So I put this picture on her Facebook page with a note – “You are missed…”

By now, you have seen nearly every possible view of a show – so I look for things that you might find interesting.  This one got me . . .

IMG_20140208_130033_386 IMG_20140208_130027_764

I’m not sure that I agree with the sentiment – but I know there are those of you out there who do . . .

As the show ended and teardown began, there were signs in the sky of better things to come . . .

IMG_20140208_175432_008 IMG_20140208_182653_047

Enjoy your winter, Florida – those of us in the frozen north envy you.  Even when your weather is lousy, remember that ours is usually worse . . .

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

And a thank you from Nancy (and me) . . .

I got a call from Nancy on Tuesday, just before she left for her first radiation appointment.  She said that when the first two or three e-mails of support came in on Sunday afternoon, she decided to write a nice e-mail of thanks to each person who took the time to send one.  By Monday afternoon, she realized that process might take a week.  So instead, she called me and asked that I convey to each of you how much she appreciated your acts of kindness.

You never cease to impress me – this is quite the little community we have.  Thanks again.

1 comment:

  1. I missed you guys a TON! Save me a spot for next year, don't want to miss it again! Hope it was a good show for you and I see your R&R after was well taken, excellent!!

    ReplyDelete