Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reaffirming My Faith in Our Customers . . .

A package came in the mail today – it caught my eye initially because it was addressed to “Marco’s Paper – Attn: Man at Conventions”.  That was enough to qualify for my laugh for the day.  But I wasn’t expecting a package and had no idea what was inside.

So I opened the padded envelope and found two identical Spellbinders dies and a note on two Post-It-Notes attached.  It was from Diane Smith, who visited our booth at the Birch Run, MI show three weeks ago.  And it started with “OMG!  I am SO embarrassed!”

Diane won a Spellbinders die in our giveaway an hour before the show ended.  I had grabbed it at random, and told her that she was welcome to swap it for one she really wanted.  So she did – but it wasn’t until a few days ago that she started to open the package and saw that she had accidentally picked up three dies that were stuck together.  It happens all the time – I usually feel the packaging when a customer is checking out to make sure there is only one.

The irony in all of this is Diane is a retired prosecuting attorney – as she said, “I put people away for shoplifting.”

When my son was little, I taught him that the true test of honesty is what you do when no one is looking.  And when I first started doing shows, a fellow vendor taught me to expect that our customers are basically honest folks.  While there have been exceptions over the years, for the most part that has held true.

And today, I am grateful to Diane Smith for affirming it once again.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for Diane! That's nice to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has reaffirmed a belief I hold dear - honesty is your best quality. Bravo for Diane! It is so true that what you do when no one is looking is a true test of honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how sad that one has to post when honesty is revealed, that doing good and the right thing is newworthy. maybe it was always this way. bur i hold firm to my belief that most people are basicly good,and want to do right

    ReplyDelete