Friday, May 8, 2015

Cleaning Out My Cell Phone Pictures . . . and An Absence Excuse

Other than a brief appearance last Friday when the Distress Color of the Month came out, I have been off the grid – again – for a month.  So it’s time to catch up.  This will be in mostly chronological order, with some minor detours along the way . . .

20150502_162948_resized

This is my daughter-in-law Emily – I took this pic last Saturday as she prepared to drive off in her new (to her) car.  A frantic Ryan called me about 30 minutes before the Allentown show closed on March 29 to tell me that Emily had totaled her car and he was on his way home from work.  Thankfully, though the car was totaled, Emily and Anakin (the puppy) were not – they escaped with bruises and general soreness.  So for all of April, Ryan, Carla, Mary (Emily’s mom) and I ferried Emily back and forth to work until all of the hoops were jumped through and she was ready to car-hunt.  Her former supervisor now works at a car dealership and got her a sweetheart deal on a really nice car.

20150409_181629_resized

Meanwhile, my own car was approaching the magic 100,000 mile mark.  I knew it was coming for weeks, anticipated the magic moment when it would turn over – even knew it was going to happen on my way home from work.  And I missed it . . .

The day after I got home from Allentown, Carla went to her mom’s to spend a week helping her through her second cataract surgery (the first was in early March).  This left Zoe, the cats and me Home Alone again – and we had a really nice Easter week, until I got sick the day after Easter.  This actually worked well for me – I prefer to be left alone when I’m under the weather, and Zoe is a great nursemaid.  But even after I thought I had recovered, I was uncomfortable off and on for the rest of the month.  It wasn’t enough to keep me from doing my job, but by the end of the day I was exhausted and cranky, and unable to do much else.  I finally started going to doctors and practitioners trying to get an answer, and it wasn’t until two weeks later that tests determined that I had passed a kidney stone.  Most people have their agony and discomfort before passing the stone and feel great after – my “agony and discomfort” lasted only about 20 seconds.  But I learned that there are an unfortunate (or fortunate) few that experience several weeks of discomfort after the fact – and that was me.  So that’s why I disappeared.

But I still did two shows in April, and thought I put on a pretty good act in spite of myself . . .

The first was in Cambridge, Maryland the third weekend in April.  My brother-in-law and his family live about 2½ hours from Cambridge, so I arranged to take his middle daughter, Mary, with me and visited with them for a couple of days before we left for the show.  Mary doubled up with her older sister and allowed me to use her room, and while I was there I realized how much she was looking forward to our trip together.

20150416_220735_resized20150417_093207_resized

Her calendar told it all.  And she was pretty excited about bouncing down the road in the passenger seat of our truck.

20150417_203621_resized 20150418_110644_resized

This was Mary’s first experience at a show – and fellow vendors were amazed.  They thought she had been doing this for years.  I told her afterward that we have had professionals at our demo table who didn’t do half as well as she did.

20150418_113623_resized

Cambridge also featured a Kathy Krivitski Sighting – Kathy spent the entire show pushing her walker in circles around the convention hall chasing after her granddaughter, Gracie.  Longtime blog readers will remember that Gracie and her parents (Danielle and Chris) were on our prayer list for a while before she was born – I can attest to you that Gracie is one constant ball of energy today.

20150425_144950_resized

The next weekend, we were in Akron for Adventures in Stamping.  Karen made the trip along with her own personal support group from the store (several of them pictured here), and spent the weekend collecting hugs from fellow vendors and other shoppers.

20150426_172935_resized

And I had to get this – this is Linda Malcom from Lost Coast, and the hitchhiker is her best friend Daisy.  You would be amazed – Daisy never strays from Linda’s side, no matter where she goes.  And she came that way – Linda never had to train her.

20150428_110923_resized 20150507_134844_resized_1

Way-too-long awaited items are finally starting to arrive – we got some Dylusions Paints in mid-April (not nearly enough, Ranger – you have done a pitiful job of releasing your products this season, but more are expected from another supplier next week), and Mixed Media finally arrived from Sizzix a couple of days ago after the dockworkers out west finally freed them from the shipping container they had been sitting in for months.

20150504_155728_resized 20150504_155816_resized

Earlier this week, I went on a much-needed golf trip to Hard Labor State Park near Rutledge, GA.  Such a relaxing time with good friends – and I haven’t laughed so hard in years.  I took these pics on the same hole – not a common sight on a golf course.

20150505_141359_resized 20150505_141417_resized

This is a bridge overlooking another hole – the road that led to it is long-gone, but I was able to walk out and get a close-up look.

20150505_111943

The local inhabitants were not afraid of us at all – that speck at right is a squirrel (black in the front and brown in the back) that spent all three days greeting us on the same hole.  No matter how close we got to him (?), he just watched us and continued with his own business.

20150505_170115_resized

We stayed in a brand new cabin – there was still sawdust on the steps leading to the screened-in porch.  And one evening it was just too nice to stay inside – we played a board game on the picnic table while grilling.

20150507_203512_resized

One final view and I think I’m caught up – Zoe is shedding mightily, and this is the pile of fur that I removed from her hindquarters with a curry comb last night.  To give you some perspective, I filled a three-gallon bucket with that pile before I headed to the garbage can.

So if my health permits, I’ll give you short bursts on a more regular basis for a while . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment