Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Moment on My Soapbox . . .

I woke up grumpy this morning, but I think I have a good reason.  If you will indulge me for a moment, I think by the time I’m finished ranting you will understand.

waynesville

I have only had two jobs in my lifetime.  The first one was here, at the local grocery in my hometown.  In those days, it was called Ellis’ Super Valu.  Don Ellis hired me in July 1974, and over the next six years I learned so much – about the grocery business, about business in general, and mostly about dealing with people.  I grew up in that store.  I still remember the day I left in 1980 (the next day, I started the job I have now) – the last thing Don said to me as my employer was, “If you ever get hungry . . .”  Don retired about ten years ago (I still see him almost every day at the YMCA), and Ron Kronenberger owns the store today – which makes me feel old at times, since I broke Ron in on his first day as an employee there.

The first thing Don Ellis taught me was this – every customer who comes in the door, whether he or she buys a pack of gum or a cartload of groceries, is the reason you get a paycheck.  They do us a favor every time they come in the door, so make sure you thank them every time you check them out or carry their groceries to their car.  I have never forgotten that.  I don’t think I truly got it as a teenager, but when it’s required and you do it often enough, it becomes ingrained.  And somewhere along the line, I started to understand.

Which leads me to this – last night I was in that grocery.  Picked up a few items, and went through the checkout line.  The kid who checked me out never spoke to me once – just rang up the order, ran my credit card, and handed me a receipt.  He didn’t seem to care at all – in fact, he seemed more annoyed that I had interrupted him.  I run into that way too much these days – when I go through the drive-thru line at McDonald’s (or any other fast food place), I rarely get a thank you.  When did it change?  These days, apparently I am an irritation and you are doing me a favor by taking time out of your busy day to take my money.

Not here.  You do us a favor every time you call on the phone, check out our website, come in the store, wander through our convention booth – even when you read my mindless wanderings on the blog or the e-mail list.  I appreciate it, and I thank you for it. 

And every now and then, I think of what Don Ellis taught me and I remember why.  And I wish there were a lot more like him who taught their employees why they have jobs.

Thanks, Don . . .

13 comments:

  1. Hi Greg -

    I completely understand your frustation. I also find that sometimes I'm treated like an annoyance, as if I interrupted them doing something important. As a teenager I worked in a supermarket and I was always careful to thank each customer, to be polite and to answer questions curteously. I never found this to be a hardship, I always treated people the way I wanted to be treated. Even now, whenever someone does me a service (be it the toll booth person or a cashier) I always say thank you when I leave.
    This was something I learned from example. As a young girl I spent lots of time with my father's parents in Los Angeles. They owned a Mom & Pop grocery store. They always were friendly and polite to their customers. They took the time to know them and talk to them. When I got a little older and was able to help out, they always reminded me to be polite and to say thank you. I never found that hard to do. Its so sad that things have changed so much. I'm sorry, didn't mean to get on my soapbox - LOL!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg,

    Thanks so much for today's blog - it's so true that so few people these days understand what 'customer service' is all about. I'm with you, so sad that things have changed so much. Fortunately, there are still a few around like you - and the world is a better place as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed I hear you! Not sure when things began to change but it sure is nice to hear thanks - come again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, that behavior is everywhere. It's become a rare occurrence to receive "customer service." That's why I always try to encourage those who do give service with a smile, and make sure their higher-up knows it. Marco's Paper has been one of my favorite places to shop (online), but your courtesy always shines through. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you completely, Greg. I think this will continue as long as we, the customer, accept it. Maybe we should speak up! I have challenged rude sales people before and I will continue to do so. You learned well from your former employer. When I need product, I always check to see if you carry it before buying it elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think people will change until they lose a job because of poor customer relations and then try to find a job in this economy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree totally. Whenever I get the cold shoulder I make a point of telling them to have a nice day. Not sure if it makes them feel good, but it always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, I think the problem is deeper than just customer service; it's a general lack of courtesy/manners any more. I wish it were not true, but I've encountered it quite a few times myself. More evidence was at my conference with my kindergartner's teacher. His teacher told us that if she gave awards for manners, he would earn an A+ for saying "excuse me", "please", and "thank you". When I noticed her surprise at this I asked if other kids did the same, she said no :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also agree with you that few places entail the concept that 'they have a job because of customers'. As to the person who said the person would change their attitude when they lose a job, sorry but they won't ever think its their own fault. They go throught life blaming everyone else, never look right in front of their nose. Of course I also hear from the other side that customers never thank them, so please 'get off the cellphone and take a minute to thank those that service you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you. And I enjoy reading your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so agree with you. I think it is just something that parents aren't teaching to their children. We are living in a 'what can you do for me?' society and that is just sad.

    ReplyDelete