Wednesday, August 29, 2018

We Like to Do Birthdays in My Family . . .

Yesterday was Mom’s birthday.  Her 79th – I have been around to celebrate 60 of them.  I always enjoyed having young parents – and I cherish still having them around.

DSCN1823 DSCN1838

Birthdays are always a big deal in my family – honestly, any excuse to get together is a big deal in my family.  This time, we celebrated Mom’s birthday on Saturday because it was the only day we could get all of the kids together at once.  Blake grilled burgers and chicken, and Lisa filled their kitchen counter with veggies and such.  Being the family dessert guy, I made homemade ice cream, chocolate pie, snickerdoodles, and gluten-free dairy-free chocolate chip cookies for my niece Jordan – I think remnants of all of them are on Mom and Dad’s plates.

20180828_191610

Last night on her actual birthday, we did what has become another family tradition – we took Mom to Graeter’s for ice cream.  Graeter’s is a Cincinnati institution that has spread out a bit over the years, so there is one very close to us.  Mom got her love of ice cream from her dad – and so did I.  I have fond memories of childhood Sunday nights eating homemade ice cream on my grandparents’ porch. 

I would love to have done play-by-play last night.  Mom was between Dad and me – I had a sundae, Dad had a cup filled with ice cream.  And Mom had a spoon.  Whichever way the conversation turned, Mom dipped her spoon into that treat and got a bite – and it went on that way until both were empty.

It was some of the best ice cream I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment