Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Milestones . . .

Last Friday was my parents’ 56th wedding anniversary.  I have always appreciated being able to do the math easily – take whatever age I’m going to be that year, add one, and that’s how many years they have been married.

1 2

Here are two pics from their wedding reception.  It was held at Preston’s Party House – I remember it well, because I grew up playing baseball in Mrs. Preston’s vacant lot next door.  And I remember that suitcase – we used the whole luggage set for a long time.

Scan0006

And 25 years ago today my life changed forever.  Nothing truly prepared me for fatherhood -- it's a "learn as you go" endeavor.  Sometimes I learned from my father, sometimes from my grandfathers, sometimes from my friends, sometimes from something I saw or read, and sometimes I just made it up as I went along.  And along the way we reached the point in our relationship where sometimes I learned from my son.  I would not always recommend the path we took to get where we are, but I am very proud of the man he has become.  Happy Birthday, Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment